Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Process (for Mark)


Here are an image that explains my process.
I do my gestures and lay-in and make sure my proportions are all good and ready. Then you can see where I start dividing the light from the shadows on his leg. I usually hit the core shadow outline pretty hard, make a distinct value difference between light and shadow, then I go over it with a towel. After that all I really need to do is erase out some highlights and make the core shadow darker. Generally keeping in mind that cast shadows I like to be hard and form shadows soft.

13 comments:

Ryan Wood said...

Fantastic work, Adam, you are friggin' awesome.

Mark Behm said...

Sweet! Thanks a lot. Love how you're amping up the contrast between the turning and cast shadows.

Dillon said...

Yeah Adam, thanks for the tips. I love the reflective light. Do you ever make it to Springvile any more?

Adam Ford said...

Nope. Gas prices have pretty much killed my ability to go on jaunts. I do feel REALLY rusty though. most of this posted pieces are a year or older. The portrait is the only one that I have done recently.

Jedulous said...

Adam! thanks for posting on my blog. where do you work? are you still a student? Your gesture drawings are amazing. absolutely amazing. i love the portrait of the girl: how it's very grainy and stylized, but communicates to clearly her expression and features.

Word up!

Ken Chandler said...

You make it look so easy Adam. Amazing work! I really like your Turban guy. And your BG's are Incredible! Thanks for sharing your work with us.

ken said...

WOW!

I am amazed my your work. Fantastic. love your painting style, do you happen to have a tutorial?

Tyler (characters N' sketches) said...

holy craziness, another talented avalanche boy

R.Dress said...

Thanks for that lesson. Great work.

Joe said...

Great figure drawrins, and even better avatar.

martin wittig said...

Very Nice work!:)

Anders said...

Impressive work!!!
such precision, such extravaganza!
you'll soon become one of my influences, for sure!

Chris Gardner said...

Great technique! I love to read about the process from the artists point of view. The Davey Jones banana is appealin. Looking forward to more work