Sunday, May 17, 2009

Little Hood Process


Here is a little on my process.

Start out with a sketch. I rarely draw in context. Meaning I will draw the individual designs separately on paper and then compose them after scan. It is not uncommon for me to draw faces and hands separately. Most of my drawings are about two inches in diameter for any given component.

I generally use the polygonal lasso tool to capture and flood fill my shapes in Photoshop. If I am not too concerned with the size of a file, I try to keep all of the different components such as hair, clothing, skin, etc.... on different layers.

If there is a background I repeat steps 1 & 2 for that. A lot of times I will use soft light layer to harmonize the colors. I have also found color balance to be good for keeping my warms and cools separate.

On a new Screen layer I will start putting in my lighting. For this first one I put in a warm sun light. I like to keep these layers separate from each other so I can change lighting as needed with the HSV sliders.

This image is just some more bounce light and ambient lighting from the sky.

Once I am comfortable with the general direction that the lighting and composition is going, I take it into Painter. Painter allows a better application of color and blending. I will use the eyedropper a lot for blending edges. I also use Ryan Wood's brushes and a couple that Sam pointed out to me.

After that I will kind of take it back and forth from Photoshop to Painter. I like to utilize and leverage the two against each other. I prefer Photoshops brush making abilities, and full screen tweaking. I use a lot of soft light layers and color correction for my work. I try to use auto levels quite a bit, just to see what the math says my colors and values should be. Then I will bring it back into painter for my edge and blend work. Painters brushes are superior in every way for the application of color for my sensibilities. The final step in a piece like this is to take it around the office and get everyone's opinions. Kevin Keele and Joe Olson generally comment on composition. Sam and Scott Stoddard will invariably talk about lighting and value. Ryan always talks about color response and textural quality. An Tom always points out my freaking tangents. It is a good crew to bounce off of.

Hope this helps.

24 comments:

Larry Levine said...

Truly awesome--thanks for sharing your creative process!!!

Andrzej Janicki said...

Super!

Nicole said...

It is nice to see your colouring process. Thanks for posting this :)

Carl Knox said...

bwhahahhaha... the wolf cracks me up!

Love it! thanks for the giggle!

aintshakespeare said...

Actually it is helpful. Thanks.

And the picture is way cool.

Dillon Thompson said...

Genius.

Tim Bye said...

Wow Adam this is amazing - very helpful too! I don't quite understand your lighting stage though - when you "put in lighting" are you hand painting at this point???

allen ostergar said...

thanks!

Christina Forshay said...

LOVE THIS! thanks so much for posting your process! It's always helpful to see how others work...thanks!!!

Velu said...

Wow. Great seeing the creative process.

Keep up the goodwork

Cheers,
Velu

Giulia said...

Your work is fantastic..I am speachless..

Aaron Ludwig said...

Very cool. Thanks for going so in-depth.

Jamin LeFave said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing!

Darcy Melton said...

Wow. That's great. I appreciate the step by step.

Art of Aria said...

I love your art works
I like you look my works and say your thought.

Nathan Lindsay said...

love it adam. fantastic design in this one.

Enosh Bar-Tur said...

Very very nice :) I like it.
Great vector work.

Gabriele Pasqualino said...

awesomeness in here... :D

Michael Mercer said...

Thanks! This was educational.

S.T. Lewis said...

This is excellent! I love it. I followed your step-by-step process, and I'm not sure it's as easy as you say. I love the wolf. It's crazy.

Pipe said...

Gracias por este pequeño tutorial !!!

Eduardo Vieira said...

It's always great to see other artists processes and insights. It's amazing to see that the processes you do are, in fact, not different from most of ours. I felt guilty for several times for not doing the whole comp in one shot and take some sketches and mix them on photoshop. Now I'm far more relieved. =)

Felixantos said...

Very funny!!!! hilarious!!!!!jjajajajaj

Felixantos

sa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛