Sunday, June 05, 2011

Okay So I Was Wrong


I guess tonight is the last night of the sale, but oh well.

Vega (Balrog) used to be an awesome character. I can't help but think that he is based off of Geki from SF1 but they decided to go with a cooler design and not make almost everyone from Asia. He seems like they shoe horned him into a representative from Europe. I think he benefited from it, because fighting a narcissistic bull fighter is way better than a generic ninja. All in all, they ended up with one of the more standout designs that made what Street Fighter is known for today. As a fighter goes, Vega stood for something in Street Fighter II. I remember actually being able to jack up anybody with him. Then Alpha 3 came around and he sucked and he remains so till this day as a bottom tier fighter. Here's to the glory days of SF2 (for Vega, at least).

*edit* So after a little investigation at the urging of Xenozip, I have discovered that Vega is A tier for competitive fighting in Alpha 3. As for CVS2, I will just assume he is good too.

7 comments:

Emerson Fialho said...

O Vega ficou incrível! Parabéns e continua assim...

Abração.

Xenozip. said...

Well you certainly have Vega down pat, for sure. There's so much personality and emotion in the way you presented him. That pose is so totally him, too. any Vega fan would love this, myself included. I wondered about the title of your post, and the things you've written therein, because your impression of Vega's character is so true. Though, about Vega sucking... well yes, he does suck in Street Fighter 4, but he absolutely does not suck in Capcom Versus SNK 2, nor does he suck in Street Fighter Alpha 3 as one might think. So the subject of "So I was Wrong" makes me hesitate to say any more other than "I'm glad Vega is appreciated". Really; I love your art and this Vega that you have created is awesome and warms my heart. Thank you for sharing.

Xenozip. said...

Also, the anatomy, physiology, and composition of this piece leave my head spinning. Great work.

Adam Ford said...

Glad you like him Xenozip. I had fun with this piece. I have Capcom vs. SNK 2, but I have never used him, so I will have to try him out. As far as Alpha 3 goes, I have played that game inside and out and have never been threatened by him or have I been much of a threat either. Sounds like you have had better luck. I will have to give him another try.

Xenozip. said...

Oh man, thank you for saying that because it's brightened my days so much. All I can say is that I hope you glance at a search for Vega on YouTube with things like "CvS2 Vega" or "SFA3 Vega" or "A-cho balrog" and take a quick look at what he has going on and how people play him. He may not seem his former self for a lot of reasons and I agree, but he's still really one of the best in every game he is in except Street Fighter 4 for all the reasons that make Vega who he is, IMO.

Tyson Murphy said...

I played SF4 on an arcade at work for the first time the other day. I went with Vega cause i remembered this post of yours. It did not end well for me.

Hawk said...

My experience closely resembles yours, Adam. I think Vega was an absolute monster in SF2 and he's never been the same since.

It's probably because in Street Fighter 2, his moveset was so divergent from all the others and harder to predict. But after so many sequels I pretty much know what angles he's going to come at me from.

Plus, he ended up getting that super move that I simply cannot pull off.

Nice work on this picture. I absolutely LOVE it when you draw Street Fighters. It makes me nostalgic for both my childhood and that summer when I first came to work at Avalanche.